- Role can be based in Sydney, QLD, Melbourne, Hobart or Perth
- Career development opportunitites
- Paid parental and birthday leave!
What's the role?
SkyNews.com.au is expanding its team of Digital Reporters and has a range of new roles which can be based in in Sydney, Queensland (Brisbane or Gold Coast), Hobart, Melbourne or Perth as we bolster our leading national news coverage.
Since re-launching SkyNews.com.au in 2021, the website has grown to reach more than 3 million unique visitors each month and Sky News is Australia’s most-engaging news publisher across social media.
The positions would suit proven journalists who are able to work autonomously and unsupervised, sourcing and writing breaking news articles for SkyNews.com.au located within one of our bureaus. Successful candidates will have an in-depth understanding of Australia’s political and media landscape and be experienced working in a fast-paced newsroom.
- Pitch exclusive story ideas regularly, maintain a strong and diverse contact book
- Cover breaking news events with clean copy drafted while meeting tight deadlines
- Edit and curate the SkyNews.com.au Homepage with the latest and best performing written articles
- Use WordPress CMS to build stories, assign them to appropriate sections and liaise with social media teams
- Understands the immediacy of the digital and television news environments and how best to leverage broadcast content for digital assets
- Be able to identify newsworthy opinion and interview content from our television channels and ensure this is delivered to our online audience quickly and accurately to drive this content into the news cycle
- Understand what content works for which platforms and target content which works best for Digital platforms
- Work well in a fast-paced team environment which involves liaising with the Digital Video teams, and on-air teams to turn around exclusive content quickly.
- The candidate needs to have the maturity to be trusted to work with limited supervision while meeting strict publishing targets
- The Sky News newsroom is in operation 24 hours a day, and all members of the team are required to be available for flexible hours, including irregular hours and unpredictable shifts, driven by news demands with regular weekend work
Who are you?
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a busy newsroom is ideal
- Ability to navigate complicated political discussions
- A positive attitude with enthusiasm for sharing ideas and learning new skills
- Ability to work unsupervised, to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
What’s in it for you?
- Supportive and friendly environment. We encourage innovation, collaboration and creative thinking. Fun, fast-paced and excellent opportunities for growth and development.
- Opportunity to innovate, challenge the norm and pioneer the way forward
- Career progression opportunites available
- Work with some of the biggest names in the industry!
Who are we?
Sky News is Australia’s leading 24-hour multi-channel and multi-platform news service provider.
Operated by Australian News Channel Pty Ltd (ANC), a subsidiary of News Corp Australia, its channels include Sky News Live, Sky News Weather, Sky News Extra, Sky News UK, FOX SPORTS News and Australia Channel for international audiences.
Sky News Australia also operates a national digital network reaching millions of Australians each month across digital platforms including SkyNews.com.au, YouTube, Facebook and News Corp Australia websites.
Sky News Australia’s unrivalled broadcast and digital news content features award-winning journalists, exclusive insights from the biggest names in politics, ground-breaking special investigations, and live breaking news, sport and weather.
Apply now or for more information on careers at News Corp Australia visit www.newscorpaustralia.com/careers
Diversity strengthens our national teams and newsroom as we seek to tell stories that represent the communities of Australia. Our people make us unique, and so we are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or gender identity. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply!