- Join the Sky News Weather team
- Inform and engage audiences on weather
- Be part of a dynamic company
Sky News has a rare opportunity for an experienced meteorologist to join our team in Sydney to prepare and present live and packaged weather reports on Sky News Weather and other Sky News channels and streaming platforms.
What’s the role?
- Guide the operational weather team to produce high quality meteorological content across all Sky News platforms.
- Produce and present industry leading weather graphics with accurate, relevant and engaging on-air editorial, with regular live segments on Sky News Weather and frequent live crosses with the Sky News Channels.
- Respond to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations, as required.
- Brief Sky News reporters and presenters on weather events to ensure efficient and appropriate use of resources.
- Initiate, script and present weather explainers and special reports with assistance from our production team
- Check reports and data for accuracy and credibility of information.
- Provide meteorological training to the weather team to improve editorial standards and accuracy.
- Perform interviews on radio, online and newsprint.
- Identify and develop new segments.
- Research and identify meaningful weather information and statistics and communicate that information to our audience and our team.
- On-air training will be provided.
Who are you?
- BSc in Meteorology or equivalent (ideally WMO BIP-M compliant).
- Minimum two years’ experience as an operational forecaster.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to brief and train presenters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively present on-air.
- Sharp analytical skills with a strong understanding of Australian weather patterns and forecasting.
- Ability to use internal and external resources to research meteorological phenomena in Australia and across the world.
What’s in it for you?
- Supportive and friendly environment. We encourage innovation, collaboration and creative thinking. Fun, fast-paced and excellent opportunities for growth and development.
- Make a difference as part of Australia’s most influential media organisation
- Opportunity to innovate, challenge the norm and pioneer the way forward
- Employee discount with multiple brands including Audi, Qantas, Apple, Samsung etc
- Work with some of Australia's most recognised and prestigious brands
Who are we?
Sky News is Australia’s leading 24-hour multi-channel and multi-platform news service provider.
Operated by Australian News Channel Pty Ltd (ANC), a subsidiary of News Corp Australia, its channels include Sky News Live, Sky News Weather, Sky News Extra, Sky News UK, FOX SPORTS News and Australia Channel for international audiences.
Sky News Australia also operates a national digital network reaching millions of Australians each month across digital platforms including SkyNews.com.au, YouTube, Facebook and News Corp Australia websites.
Sky News Australia’s unrivalled broadcast and digital news content features award-winning journalists, exclusive insights from the biggest names in politics, ground-breaking special investigations, and live breaking news, sport and weather.
What do I do next?
For further information regarding this role please contact Lauren in the Talent Acquisition team via firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply please attach your CV using the appropriate link and ensure that you notify your current Manager if you are asked to attend an interview. Please note we will not be able to organise an interview until you've notified your current Manager.
Diversity strengthens our national teams and newsroom as we seek to tell stories that represent the communities of Australia. Our people make us unique, and so we are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or gender identity. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply!